Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Welcome ~ About Me!

I have been trying to get this blog going for a few weeks. In that time I have come up with many ideas for articles and I am so excited to starting sharing my advice with you! Many of my readers know me well, but if you are new I would love to share a little about myself and what I do.

I am from a small town in Texas (Odessa) and I am now living in the BIG city of Los Angeles! It wasn't a complete culture shock due to my five years in Dallas/Fort Worth before the big move. I have always loved fashion, but being from a small town my only shopping experience was in a tiny mall, my favorite stores being Dillard's and Express. Every once in a while we would venture to the Midland mall where we could go to Gap! So imagine my surprise when I moved to Fort Worth to major in Fashion Merchandising at Texas Christian University and I was surrounded by names such as Louis Vuitton, Prada and Fendi. I quickly hid my Dooney and Bourke purse under my bed and started reading up on my W Magazines.

As part of my curriculum to graduate from college I needed a summer internship with that was fashion related. Many girls were lucky enough to travel to New York for the summer and get slave jobs with designers such as Marc Jacobs, while I ended up at a small Image Consulting Firm in Fort Worth. At first I was worried I would be bored, and I didn't even know what an Image Consultant was. After that summer I knew it was my destiny! After all, while in high school I was constantly giving my friend's makeovers. I would pick out their hair cuts, give them shopping advice and even take "after" pictures. I also hosted "Spa Parties" where I would do the girls makeup and nails.

Elaine Stoltz is one of eight image masters in the world. She took me under her wing and taught me everything about makeup and image consulting. I soaked everything in and soon she started letting me consult clients with her, then on my own! I had a dream job for over 4 years and it was VERY hard for me to make the decision to move, but a girl has to follow her heart! My heart was with my love of 7 years Jeffrey, and were finally married last October. He is pursuing film, therefore...Los Angeles! Now I am working on developing my own image consulting firm called, Shelbi Keith Fashion and Makeup Consultant.

I love the idea of Image Consulting. We are different from personal stylists, as we don't try to make a person look like someone else, or make the outfit creation be the statement. We aim to make the outfit and the person come together as one statement. Even though I know all the designer labels now, I don't like that to be my focus when creating a vision. I want the person's personality to direct their wardrobe. Recently I told one of Jeffrey's aunts, stop buying clothes that don't look like you! And I will end there, because this will be the subject of my first official article: "That's not you, don't buy it!"

No comments: