Tuesday, May 4, 2010

That's Not You, Don't Buy It!

This is a lesson I have had to learn for myself. I have tried to change my image several times in my life. Mostly when going through life changes, puberty, college, my move to Los Angeles... Each time I realize, "this is not me!" and revert back to my natural instincts.

Many image consultants have written books on personal style traits and how they relate to clothing. Some of the books I have read are, Style Source by Alyce Parsons and Triumph of Individual Style by Carla Mathis and Helen Villa Conner.

Most of the books tell of  6-7 categories of Personal Styles that a person will fit into.
  1. Traditional or Classic- Tailored clothing, think Ralph Lauren or Liz Claiborne
  2. Sporty, Athletic or Natural- Casual, Laid Back think Lucky, Pacific Sun, J Crew
  3. Elegant- this reminds me of the First Lady, It is tailored with a little softness
  4. Feminine or Romantic (I call it Girlie)- Flowers, Lace, Jewels, Oh My!
  5. Alluring or Sexy- Well... you know what this is!
  6. Dramatic- Trendy, over the top Fashion, think Sex and the City, Devil Wears Prada
  7. Creative, Arty or Bohemian- From Punk Rock to Hippie, all to "weird" looks you see out there, or the ones that you think are really cool, but you can never pull them off...or maybe you can! I see a lot more of this style in LA than I did in Texas.
Can you think of what I am?....Feminine of course! I have always loved flowers, lace, sparkles...anything girlie. I will now tell you my stories of trying to be someone I am not.
  • When I was in middle school all the "popular" girls were in Athletics and wore t-shirts, tube socks, tennis shoes. I really wanted to be popular so I tried wearing these things. I didn't even own t-shirts or sweatshirts so I had to borrow some of my mom's! After a few months I realized these clothes were not me!
  • When I went to college, I tried to fit in with some of the sorority girls (I wasn't in a sorority, but I was hanging out with a friend who was). They were all wearing short denim skirts, low cut blouses, big earrings, dark eyeliner (trying to attract the boys I guess). I started wearing these things for a while to fit in, soon I realized, THIS IS NOT ME! (the picture on the right is on me and Jeffrey during the college sexy stage...embarrassing!)
  • Then, as I was getting ready to move to Los Angeles, I felt myself reverting to my changing ways. I was trying to be more hip and creative. By this point I had no excuse, I knew my personal style, but I wanted to look like I fit in, so I bought a few pairs of super skinny jeans, gladiator sandals, and belts. I actually liked these looks, but only after I learned to make them more girlie and less arty. So my point is you have to still with who you are on the inside and translate it on the outside.
Most people are not fully one personal style, but a mixture of two or three. When I shop for people I instantly pick up on what there personal style is and help them to achieve a look that is updated, cute, and pulled together, while keeping with their own personality. If you need help with this please call me! I would love to help you shop!

No comments: