Monday, June 14, 2010

The Importance of Eyebrows!

When I give a makeup lesson, I always tell the person that the 3 most important makeup steps are Brows, Blush and Lips. They will frame your face so that the eye can focus on your whole face and not just one piece of you. (Example: Bright red lips with very light eyebrows would result in someone staring at your lips). Sometimes it is ok to create a focal point like for photo shoots, costume parties, or if you want the avant garde fashion makeup for a special event. This article is meant for everyday natural makeup.

Ashley's brows are too light in comparison to her lipstick.

Kate's brows and lips are correct, one is not standing out from the other.

Many people get scared when I mention filling in their brows. They have had bad experiences at the makeup counter with makeup artists making them look like a man with dark bushy brows. I aim to achieve a brow that looks as natural as possible. As women age their brows loose hair so they will actually look younger if they fill in the brow. Also, it will lift the eyes, giving you the cheapest eye lift without surgery!

First step to creating great brows is to shape them properly. This article will give you steps to create a great brow shape.

Now that you have the proper shape you need to choose the product that is best for filling in the empty spots. If you have great brows that only need shaping you may only need a clear gel like a clear mascara or a product called "brow set" that will hold them in place for you, sort of like hair spray for your brows.
These are my cousin, Melissa's amazing brows that I am so jealous of. She shapes them and uses a clear gel to set them in place.

I have used many products in the past. Wax Pencils, Powder Pencils, Powders, Wax Pigments, Mascara like tints for your brows. They all have their place and I feel like it is your preference as to which one works best for you. At the moment I am enjoy my mascara like tint called "brow tint." It is so quick and easy!

Third step is to choose the color. Blonde's and people with gray or white hair should always go one step darker than their hair. All other hair colors should have brows the same color. Try not to go too red or gray. Because the color is so important I do not recommend using eye shadows on your brows, find a color that was made for brows.

The picture of me with one brow penciled in that I show at presentations. Many blondes have thin light brows, it is one of the first steps I will apply when making up their face.

Most Asian women have thin brows. Filling in their brows will make their eyes pop!

It may take several attempts to perfect the brow filling process. Please do not give up if the first time is difficult for you, it will be worth it once you perfect your brows! If you need help filling in those brows, make an appointment with me for a one hour makeup lesson!

No comments: